Corinth Canal & Byzantine City of Nafplion
We are going to depart from Athens and follow the coast line that leads to the Corinth Canal. We are going to stop for pictures and you will have the opportunity to walk on the old bridge that connects the two sides of the mainland. After this we are going to continue our roadtrip to Nafplio.
Nafplio is a historical city of Greece, named after the son of Poseidon and Amymone, Nafplius. The city is very well known for “Bourtzi”a small fortress built on an islet inside the port) and “Palamidi”, a Venetian fortress dominating the city.The different conquerors that passed through the years, left their marks to Architectural style of the old city. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful cities in Greece, very popular to the Greeks for short vacation.
After reaching the city, we are going to visit the Palamidi Fortress, built in 1687 by the Venetians, after occupying the hill on which it is located, after a fierce battle with the Ottomans during the Venetian-Turkish War. The hill on which it stands is 216 meters high. During the Greek Revolution of 1821 the Turks fortified Palamidi but on 30 November 1822 the Greeks occupied it. After the Revolution, Palamidi served as a prison, where Theodore Kolokotronis, chief of the Greek Revolution, was imprisoned in 1833 and released 11 months later, thanks to King Otto.
After your visit to Palamidi, you are going to visit the “floating” Fortress Bourtzi. You will get on a boat for a small ride, and in a few minutes you will be on the islet of Bourtzi. This fort was built by the Venetians after Mahmut Pasha’s departure in 1473, supplying it with newer cannons. In 1502 the Venetians, fortifying the southwestern side of the Acronafplia into self-propelled bastions (the “Five Brothers”), connected it with an artificial block of boulders on which a chain was attached to the city that reached its seafloor and to Thalassopoulos. , hence the name “Port of Alysos”. Until 1865 it served as a fortress, then it was transformed into residence of the executioners of convicts from the castle of Palamidi. From 1930 to 1970, it served also as a hotel.
Finally, you are going to explore the magical old city of Nafplio, by walking inside the narrow paths, full of interesting local places for lunch, shopping, coffee and ice cream. After this tour one thing is for sure, you will fall in love with this small beautiful city.
After your Nafplio exploration, we are going to depart for a lovely road trip back to Athens.
Free admission days:
Under 18 years old is FREE
*6 March (except Acropolis Museum)
*5 June (except Acropolis Museum)
*18 April (except Acropolis Museum)
*18 May (International Museums Day)
*The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days- except Acropolis museum)
Reduced admission for:
*Greek citizens and citizens of other Member – States of the European Union aged over 65 years old by showing their ID card or passport.
*Students of Higher Education Institutes and equivalent Schools from countries outside the EU by showing their student ID
*The accompanying parents on educational visits of elementary schools.
• 1 January: closed
• 6 January: closed
• Shrove Monday: 08.30-15.00
• 25 March: closed
• Good Friday: until 12:00 closed
• Holy Saturday: 08.30-15.00
• Easter Sunday : closed
• Easter Monday: 08.30-15.00
• 1 May: closed
• Holy Spirit Day: 08.30-15.00
• 15 August: 08.30-15.00
• 28 October: 08.30-15.00
• 25 December: closed
• 26 December: closed
- We use luxury Mercedes Benz vehicles, legal and licensed by the Greek National Tourism Organization, smoke-free, fully air-conditioned.
- Rates include all tolls, fuel, parking fees, and baggage charges.
- Not included: Drinks, meals, entrance fees, accommodation, licensed guides (optional) and/or gratuities.
- Prices are per car and not per person.
- The driver will wait a maximum of 60 minutes after the indicated pick up time.
- Tours are private, personal, and flexible just for you and your party.
- For all tours except layover tours that starts/ends at Athens airport there will be a surcharge of 25% (Athens airport is 45-60 minutes drive from Athens, Piraeus port).
- For services between 23:30 – 06:30 there will be a 20% surcharge.
- Names Lists: Upon booking confirmation, you must provide a full list (names & surnames) for all members of your touring party. This is required by local authorities for all tours and failure to provide such a list may result in the cancellation of your tour.
- Driver: Please be aware that your Driver is not permitted to enter archaeological sites and museums and offer a guiding service. Only Licensed guides, authorized by the Greek Ministry of Culture, are allowed to do so. Should you require a licensed guide to accompany you to the archaeological sites and museums, we can provide such service at an extra cost, or you can find a licensed guide on your own. Please note that, if you choose the service of a licensed guide for the full time of your tour, an additional seat in the vehicle will be required. Since your licensed guide will be in the vehicle during the tour. For example, should there be 3 persons in your party, you must select 4 persons on the menu, in order for the appropriate vehicle to be provided for your Tour.
- Licensed Guides: All accredited (official) guides are freelance professionals by law, who are hired by the operator on your behalf. The Licensed guide is responsible for issuing all pertinent documentation concerning his/her services (such as receipts, etc.).
- Full day tour duration with a licensed guide is 8 hours and a half-day tour duration with a licensed guide is 5 hours.
- Licensed Guides Extra Seat: Please note that, if you will be choosing the services of a licensed guide for FULL TIME, you will require an ADDITIONAL seat in your vehicle, since your guide will be riding with you. For example, should there be 3 persons in your party, you must select 4 persons on the menu (car type 4-7 people)
– Mercedes Sedan/Saloon (1-3 persons) max luggage: 3 pieces with the following maximum dimensions: height 63,5cm/25 inches, width 45cm/18 inches, depth 28cm/11 inches or 2 larger pieces
– Mercedes Minivan or Minibus 1 piece of luggage (up to above dimensions) plus 1 carry-on (not exceeding 3 kilos) per person. IMPORTANT: For each and every requested transfer service, you are required to inform us of the exact luggage description of your party.